Friday, October 14, 2011

Games of Art. Welcome!

Welcome to the world of interactive art. Games as art is a fairly hot topic today in the gaming community. We’re at a point where games are transcending simple, interactive entertainment and becoming true works of art. With any emerging art forum, there will always be doubters at the start. This blog will prove, through specific examples and analyses, that games are indeed art. It will focus a lot on the visual aspect of games, but it’ll also touch on interactivity, soundtracks, story-telling, the film-like cutscenes that litter modern games, and various other aspects of what makes games art.

My name is Jason and I’m a dedicated gamer as well as a 3D artist. I’m currently working on my Arts & Technology degree at The University of Texas at Dallas. The topic of games as art is fairly personal to me due to how central 3D artwork is to modern games. I find that I can no longer just play games like I used to. I have to look around at all the game’s artwork, particularly appreciating all the hard work 3D artists have put into the game world. A slight warning here—the same thing may happen to you after reading this blog!

This blog should not only be enlightening to skeptics of games as art, but also open gamers’ eyes to the incredible art that surrounds them.

No comments:

Post a Comment